MPTUO1a: Introduction to Psychology – Fall 2020
Week 15 / Units 10 & 11: Social and Sociocultural Psychology
Social and Sociocultural Psychology. “Social psychology is the scientific study of how the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of individuals are influenced by the actual, imagined, and implied presence of others.”  “Cultural psychology is the study of the way cultural traditions and social practices regulate, express, and transform the human psyche, resulting less in psychic unity for humankind than in ethnic divergences in mind, self, and emotion.” 
- Chapter 8: Social Psychology in Psychology 101 by Dr. Christopher L. Heffner 
- Chapter 15: Social Psychology, Part One: Social Influence in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 15: Social Psychology, Part Two: Movements and Membership Organizations in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 15: Social Psychology, Part Three: Social Cognition in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
Social Interactions Study Guide
- 1.1 Describe attributional explanations of behavior.
- 1.2 Describe the relationship between attitudes (implicit and explicit) and behavior.
- 1.3 Identify persuasive methods used to change attitudes.
- 2.1 Describe the power of the situation.
- 2.2 Describe effects of others’ presence on individuals’ behavior.
- 2.3 Describe how group dynamics influence behavior.
- 2.4 Discuss how an individual influences group behavior.
- 3.1 Discuss the nature and effects of stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination.
- 3.2 Describe determinants of prosocial behavior.
- 3.3 Discuss influences upon aggression and conflict.
- 3.4 Discuss factors influencing attraction and relationships.
Sociocultural Diversity Study Guide
Social and cultural diversity
- 1.1 Define culture and diversity.
- 1.2 Identify how cultures change over time and vary within nations as well as internationally.
- 1.3 Discuss the relationship between culture and conceptions of self and identity.
- 1.4 Discuss psychological research examining race and ethnicity.
- 1.5 Discuss psychological research examining socioeconomic status.
- 1.6 Discuss how privilege and social power structures relate to stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination.
Diversity among individuals
- 2.1 Discuss psychological research examining gender identity.
- 2.2 Discuss psychological research examining diversity in sexual orientation.
- 2.3 Compare and contrast gender identity and sexual orientation.
- 2.4 Discuss psychological research examining gender similarities and differences and the impact of gender discrimination.
- 2.5 Discuss the psychological research on gender and how the roles of women and men in societies are perceived.
- 2.6 Examine how perspectives affect stereotypes and treatment of minority and majority groups in society.
- 2.7 Discuss psychological research examining differences in individual cognitive and physical abilities.
Major Assignments and Deadlines
- Cultural psychology. (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved June 3, 2020, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_psychology
- Social Psychology. (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved June 18, 2020, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_psychology
- Heffner, Dr. Christopher L. (2001, April 1). Psychology 101. All Psych. https://allpsych.com/psychology101/
- Dewey, Dr. Russell A. (2017). Psychology: An Introduction. Psych Web. https://www.psywww.com/intropsych/
- The American Psychological Association’s Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (APA TOPSS) course template.