MPTUO1a: Units 10 & 11 Study Guide
Week 15 / Units 10 & 11
Review this study guide for Week 15 / Units 10 & 11 of the Introduction to Psychology course.
Units 10 & 11 Study Guide
The following outline includes topics based on APA National Standards for the study of social interactions and sociocultural diversity. Use these standards as a checklist to make sure you’ve mastered this unit.
Social Interactions Study Guide
- Social cognition
- 1.1 Describe attributional explanations of behavior.
- 1.2 Describe the relationship between attitudes (implicit and explicit) and behavior.
- 1.3 Identify persuasive methods used to change attitudes.
- Social Influence
- 2.1 Describe the power of the situation.
- 2.2 Describe effects of others’ presence on individuals’ behavior.
- 2.3 Describe how group dynamics influence behavior.
- 2.4 Discuss how an individual influences group behavior.
- Social relations
- 3.1 Discuss the nature and effects of stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination.
- 3.2 Describe determinants of prosocial behavior.
- 3.3 Discuss influences upon aggression and conflict.
- 3.4 Discuss factors influencing attraction and relationships.
Sociocultural Diversity Study Guide
- Social and cultural diversity
- 1.1 Define culture and diversity.
- 1.2 Identify how cultures change over time and vary within nations as well as internationally.
- 1.3 Discuss the relationship between culture and conceptions of self and identity.
- 1.4 Discuss psychological research examining race and ethnicity.
- 1.5 Discuss psychological research examining socioeconomic status.
- 1.6 Discuss how privilege and social power structures relate to stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination.
- Diversity among individuals
- 2.1 Discuss psychological research examining gender identity.
- 2.2 Discuss psychological research examining diversity in sexual orientation.
- 2.3 Compare and contrast gender identity and sexual orientation.
- 2.4 Discuss psychological research examining gender similarities and differences and the impact of gender discrimination.
- 2.5 Discuss the psychological research on gender and how the roles of women and men in societies are perceived.
- 2.6 Examine how perspectives affect stereotypes and treatment of minority and majority groups in society.
- 2.7 Discuss psychological research examining differences in individual cognitive and physical abilities.
- The American Psychological Association’s Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (APA TOPSS) course template.