MPTUO1a: Units 4 & 5 Study Guide
Weeks 6, 7 and 8 / Units 4 & 5
Review this study guide for Weeks 6, 7 and 8 / Units 4 & 5 of the Introduction to Psychology course.
Units 4 & 5 Study Guide
The following outline includes topics based on APA National Standards for the study of language development, learning, and life span development. Use these standards as a checklist to make sure you’ve mastered this unit.
Language Development Study Guide
- Structural features of language
- 1.1 Describe the structure and function of language.
- 1.2 Discuss the relationship between language and thought.
- Theories and developmental stages of language acquisition
- 2.1 Explain the process of language acquisition.
- 2.2 Discuss how the acquisition of a second language can affect language development and possibly other cognitive processes.
- 2.3 Evaluate the theories of language acquisition.
- Language and the brain
- 3.1 Identify the brain structures associated with language.
- 3.2 Discuss how damage to the brain may affect language.
Learning Study Guide
- Classical Conditioning
- 1.1 Describe the principles of classical conditioning.
- 1.2 Describe clinical and experimental examples of classical conditioning.
- 1.3 Apply classical conditioning to everyday life.
- Operant conditioning
- 2.1 Describe the Law of Effect.
- 2.2 Describe the principles of operant conditioning.
- 2.3 Describe clinical and experimental examples of operant conditioning.
- 2.4 Apply operant conditioning to everyday life.
- Observational and cognitive learning
- 3.1 Describe the principles of observational and cognitive learning.
- 3.2 Apply observational and cognitive learning to everyday life.
Life Span Development Study Guide
- Methods and issues in life span development
- 1.1 Explain the interaction of environmental and biological factors in development, including the role of the brain in all aspects of development.
- 1.2 Explain issues of continuity/discontinuity and stability/change.
- 1.3 Distinguish methods used to study development.
- 1.4 Describe the role of sensitive and critical periods in development.
- 1.5 Discuss issues related to the end of life.
- Theories of life span development
- 2.1 Discuss theories of cognitive development.
- 2.2 Discuss theories of moral development.
- 2.3 Discuss theories of social development.
- Prenatal development and the newborn
- 3.1 Describe physical development from conception through birth and identify influences on prenatal development.
- 3.2 Describe newborns’ reflexes, temperament, and abilities.
- Infancy (i.e., the first two years of life)
- 4.1 Describe physical and motor development.
- 4.2 Describe how infant perceptual abilities and intelligence develop.
- 4.3 Describe the development of attachment and the role of the caregiver.
- 4.4 Describe the development of communication and language.
- 5.1 Describe physical and motor development.
- 5.2 Describe how memory and thinking ability develops.
- 5.3 Describe social, cultural, and emotional development through childhood.
- 6.1 Identify major physical changes.
- 6.2 Describe the development of reasoning and morality.
- 6.3 Describe identity formation.
- 6.4 Discuss the role of family and peers in adolescent development.
- Adulthood and Aging
- 7.1 Identify major physical changes associated with adulthood and aging.
- 7.2 Describe cognitive changes in adulthood and aging.
- 7.3 Discuss social, cultural, and emotional issues in aging.
- The American Psychological Association’s Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (APA TOPSS) course template.
THIS WORK IS LICENSED UNDER A CREATIVE COMMONS ATTRIBUTION-NONCOMMERCIAL-NODERIVATIVES 4.0 INTERNATIONAL LICENSE. CONTACT MY PSYCH TEACHER FOR MORE INFORMATION.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY PSYCH TEACHER UNIVERSITY ONLINE (MPTU). IF YOU DO NOT FIND THE COURSE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, WE CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE THAT WE HAVE A TEACHER FOR YOU. YOU CAN NOW SUGGEST A NEW COURSE.
IMAGE SOURCE: “Pixabay on Pexels.com.”
© MY PSYCH TEACHER UNIVERSITY, A DIVISION OF MY PSYCH TEACHER LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. LIKE US ON FACEBOOK.